Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Anchor Wizard Install on Radar 115
Kevin Rohland Offline
Guppy

I finally got around to installing the Anchor Wizard and thought I would post a few pics of the install. Of coarse I over thought the whole install just like every other project. I installed the chute on my homemade stern mount. I may add tracks later instead of bolting the chute directly to the mount.

I have not had a chance to take the Radar out on it's maiden voyage yet and it's killing me! I'm sure I will have to make some adjustments to everything after a few trips. Any questions let me know.

02-05-2018 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jszymczyk Offline
Not a Newbie

RE: My Anchor Wizard Install on Radar 115
Hi- I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but what if you want to anchor from your bow? I'd have to say I find myself anchoring from the bow about half the time due to wind and water conditions.

I also use a grapnel style anchor, in lakes at least, and I've found it's not unusual to have to give the anchor line a few good hard yanks to free an anchor tine stuck under a rock or whatever. I think it's going to be a challenge to do that with a fixed position anchor point.

Hope it works out well for you.

Lewisberry, Pennsylvania

CPO USCG ret.
02-06-2018 06:53 AM
Sweetbass Offline

Your install looks great man. I like the DIY mounting plate. I think the anchor wizard is a great idea to help keep the deck clutter free. I’m guessing you may get annoyed having to turnaround to crank the winch. I can’t wait to see how you like it. I’ve been contemplating getting the new low profile model. I’ve thought about maybe using it without the chute so I could use it with my anchor trolley to change positions. I’ve been looking a the power-pole too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryen McCaffrey
Bridgeville, PA

Wilderness Systems Radar 135 /Helix PD Pedal Drive
Mad River Adventure 14
NRS Chinook PFD
Fish On!
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 09:43 AM by Sweetbass.)
02-06-2018 09:42 AM
Clay Offline

Nice looking boat. That Anchor Wizard looks like a cool idea. Love the cleaner deck concept. Keep us posted on how it is working for you.
02-06-2018 10:18 AM
Racerx Offline

The new low-profile Anchor Wizard. Cool! How's the construction? I think they switched to a plastic housing. Yeah, I'd worry about reaching for it, too. I'd probably place it closer up front.
I also tend to anchor up from the bow quite a bit. While I like the winch, I don't think I would buy the other part. I'd probably still choose to run my line through my anchor trolley, for flexibility of anchor location. If you haven't already done so, I recommend "rock rigging" the grapnel anchor, too. It's bailed me out several times.
Is that mounting plate from a cutting board? I ask cause I've done that very thing, but always have a hard finding one, in black, in a decent size.

Kaku Wahoo 12.5
Werner Paddle
Shimano and Pfleuger Reels
No. 8 Tackle Rods
02-06-2018 11:05 AM
Kevin Rohland Offline
Guppy

I will be installing an anchor trolley I'm the coming weeks. I will clip the anchor line to trolley ring and have the best of both worlds.

Your probably right on the crank placement. I'm going to have to experiment with it.

It is a plastic housing on this model. I don't like how the line exits the housing. You have to mount it on an extreme angle so the line doesn't rub.

It is a cutting board I found at Target. I believe they called it granite infused.
02-07-2018 05:34 PM
bart Offline
Guppy

Looks like a well decked out kayak, hope it serves you well! Thanks for sharing!
02-08-2018 03:34 PM
Roytoy Online

Yeah that boat looks badass. I need to pimp mine out like that.
02-12-2018 12:36 PM
Jeepinyaker Offline

I've been looking at getting one of these and running it off my stern. Anybody use one in rocky rivers? I fish the Yough river most of the time and my anchor gets stuck between the rocks a good bit. I'm thinking getting a wedged anchor unstuck with no way to really grab the rope could be a real PITA. And when reeling it in wont it just drag along the bottom and snag on every rock? I've seen videos of people deploying the anchor with these, but none of people retrieving it.

F&S Shadow Caster
Elizabeth Twp. PA
02-14-2018 07:17 AM
Kevin Rohland Offline
Guppy

Jeepinyaker - I had the same thought as you as I fish the Yough a bit and other similar waters. I am installing an anchor trolley this weekend and plan clipping my anchor line to the trolley ring. If I get stuck I can still pull the anchor line to the middle of the yak and hopefully be able to free the anchor. I will snap some pictures and post on Sunday.
02-14-2018 11:53 AM