Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Over RX sunglasses
Time_2_Fish Offline
Guppy

Over RX sunglasses
I'm in the unfortunate situation that I wear glasses and can't do contacts. I NEED some sunglasses while out on the water on sunny days. I've seen the over RX types and also the attachable flip kinds. Anyone have suggestions on the best option for polarized sunglass? Cheaper the better as I'm all but guaranteed to break/lose them. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
01-31-2017 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
keiths Offline
Guppy

RE: Over RX sunglasses
(01-31-2017 01:10 PM)Time_2_Fish Wrote:  I'm in the unfortunate situation that I wear glasses and can't do contacts. I NEED some sunglasses while out on the water on sunny days. I've seen the over RX types and also the attachable flip kinds. Anyone have suggestions on the best option for polarized sunglass? Cheaper the better as I'm all but guaranteed to break/lose them. Thanks!

If you are a member @ Costco, look at the prescription sunglasses there. I got away with a pair for $60.00. Polarized and all. they work great for flyfishing too.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017 05:39 PM by keiths.)
01-31-2017 05:38 PM
jszymczyk Offline
Not a Newbie

thankfully I only need up-close reader style glasses now, but my wife is an avid cyclist who wears glasses and spends more time outdoors than most of us. She says prescription polarized sunglasses are the best money she has spent. They can be expensive but the performance and quality are worth it.

Lewisberry, Pennsylvania

CPO USCG ret.
01-31-2017 07:14 PM
jay2127 Offline
Guppy

My glasses are bifocal, and I found a site called boomersintheknow.com, I believe that is the site, that sell bifocal polarized sunglasses which are far less expensive than my Prescription based glasses. They have some that are for fishing, that work pretty well. Also allows me to leave the prescriptions in the car. Check the site out, should be able to find something you like. Good luck.
02-01-2017 02:24 AM
truecrimson Offline

Cocoons.

I would recommend the clip ons that clip from the side instead of the ones that clip in the top middle or the full glasses.

The problem with over RX full glasses is getting them adjusted when you put them on. The two pairs are always pushing each other out of place, and they never fit quite right.

The problem I had, but others don't, with prescription sunglasses is that I suffered the same disorientation switching between the two as you do when you initially get new glasses. With new glasses you get over it, but I went through it every time I switched.

I love my Cocoons over RX glasses, but after I get new glasses this year I am getting the side clip Cocoons.

If Cocoons are too expensive the one's from Wal Mart work ok. The hard part is finding the right lens shape and size.

Also, get a couple of those straps that attach to the legs of glasses and go behind your head. There are several styles to choose from. That way you won't lose your glasses or your shades.

He points to our location, then casually says, “I strongly suggest you wear your PFD.” Something in his voice jolts me into the moment. There’s no immediate danger, of course. But we’re on the other side of the guardrail now. It’s not that wild places are hostile, just unforgiving. I put on my PFD. - Bill Heavey

2012 Ride 135
Pelican Ultimate 100 SE
NRS Chinook PFD
Leb-A-Non, PA
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 09:05 PM by truecrimson.)
02-01-2017 09:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Time_2_Fish Offline
Guppy

Thanks for all of your responses! I never even thought of prescription sunglasses, I'll have to check into those and it may be worth it. I did see the name Cocoon in my browsing for fit overs, so it's good to know that's a brand that works if I go that route. I always rest my sunglasses on top of my hat when the sun goes behind clouds, then I forget they're there and I take my hat off to wipe my brow and PLOP! I guess a lanyard with a simple clip to the back of my life vest will solve that problem. Oh how i miss my 20/20 vision of my teenage years. Getting older sucks.

I checked out boomersintheknow.com and they have some fit overs for under $20. Thanks again for the advice

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 12:44 AM by Time_2_Fish.)
02-02-2017 12:36 AM
Racerx Offline

I'm constantly doing a dance with my glasses. I have prescription sunglasses that are polarized, but I've developed "old man eyes". My lenses aren't bifocal cause I've been fighting the notion of bifocals, which means I either have to slide my glasses down to the end of my nose and look over them, or take them off, each time I need to tie a knot. Angry
02-02-2017 10:46 AM
keiths Offline
Guppy

I'm constantly doing a dance with my glasses. I have prescription sunglasses that are polarized, but I've developed "old man eyes". My lenses aren't bifocal cause I've been fighting the notion of bifocals, which means I either have to slide my glasses down to the end of my nose and look over them, or take them off, each time I need to tie a knot.

I got my RX sunglasses in progressive. The eye doctor added some magnification to help w/ size 18 and smaller flies.
02-02-2017 11:05 AM
AnglerX Offline
Guppy

check out coastal.com. I get my regular glasses from there and looked into polarized prescription sunglasses from them and found anything from Costa's to other brands that were a lot cheaper.

Erie Pa
FS Shadow Caster
Garmin/Scotty mounts
Too many rods and reels
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 03:09 PM by AnglerX.)
02-03-2017 03:08 PM
Time_2_Fish Offline
Guppy

I ended up going to Walgreen's and sized the fit overs and the clip ons. Then went home and found the same brand, Solar Shield, on eBay for alot cheaper. $8 for the fit overs, and $8 for three pairs of the clip ons (ones that hook around the sides and not the middle). We'll see how they work when they get here. Even if they are terrible, I'm not out all that much cash. Thanks for all your inputs! Can't wait til spring to get back out on the water.

02-05-2017 09:58 PM